Friday, July 4, 2014

15. Sideline Story

One of the hardest transitions in life is going from your senior year in highschool, to your freshman year in college
 
TALK ABOUT A WAKE UP CALL

I went from 
#1 in the district 
#3 in the city

To worst player in the conference
That's right, 
I sat the bench all this year

AND IM UNASHAMED BECAUSE IT WAS ALL MY FAULT

We were a winning team, and I didn't do all I could to get the playing time I wanted but I've learned from that!! 

So this... Is my sideline story

Y'all wished somebody made guidelines , on how to get up off the sidelines ?? 

Before I begin let me say that this is not about me

It's all about GOD 
I'm just spreading his WORD

7th grade- I sat the bench at Baker Middle School

8th grade- sat the bench again, when my coach finally gave me the chance 2nd to last game of the year I scored 14 points in 5 minutes. He started me the game to end 8th grade.

Freshman year- Carroll High School, all the girls I came in with automatically were moved up to JV or Varsity. I was on freshman ball, I didn't know any better. I continued to work hard and to end the season I was moved up to varsity and had 2 varsity games under my belt at the age of 14.

Sophomore Year- coach said she would put me on Varsity if I quit volleyball. So I quit, and began on varsity, but was moved down to JV to get more playing time. By the end of the year I was getting reasonable minutes on varsity, a good 10-13 a game. But still a majority of the year was spent on JV. 

***Summer Before Junior Year***

I played with the girls from Taft Highschool all summer
Worked hard everyday
Cried 
More than enough blood sweat and tears
Played tournaments 
Summer league
NO AAU
all hard work
Outside games
Pickup games
Barely any money spent
MONEY DOES NOT MEAN TALENT

junior year- I came back TRANSFORMED
I was a starter on varsity, ended the year with 3 all tournament teams and 2nd team all district. This led to me being full of myself and egotistical and not a nice person. I still did not make the 1st, 2nd, or 3rd team all south Texas. So I felt like a failure, I told myself the next year I was gonna get MVP of district and make the all south Texas team. We missed playoffs and I was determined to come back even stronger.

Senior year- my team ended the year with a 29-6 record, district runner ups, and we made the playoffs. Our team was predicted #1 in corpus. Made front page at least 5 times this year. I was MVP of the district, made 1st team all south Texas, and was getting a few college calls. I was so blessed but I couldn't see past my own selfish pride and I hurt so many along the way and I am so ashamed of it. But it made me into who I am today. Some NAIA and D3 but nothing more. At the time I was upset, but now I am so blessed just to be getting a college education. I'm blessed to be part of a program so unique, so special, so INCREDIBLE. I am BLESSED to call myself a collegiate athlete.

Freshman year of College- nothing I did in highschool mattered whatsoever. I came in thinking I deserved playing time, I was good, and didn't have to work hard. BOY WAS I WRONG. I sat the bench the whollleeeee entirreeeee yearrrr!!! Lawd it was hard! But I didn't do anything to change it. We won't our conference and made the sweet sixteen, and tho I felt I didn't contribute directly on the court, our team was so incredible they made me feel as tho I helped and all SIXTEEN of us made a huge IMPACT. COACHES INCLUDED.

Next year: if I want to get off the sideline, I have to do all of the following things.

-REMEMBER GOD GAVE THE TALENT AND HE CAN TAKE IT AWAY JUST AS EASILY 
- REMEMBER EVERYTHING
I MEAN EVERYTHING I DO IS TO GLORIFY 
GOD
GOD 
JESUS
GOD

ok lol, also

-Never Slack
-Shoot EVERYDAY
-Get Quicker
-Become more HUMBLE
-Understand NOTHING COMES EASY
-Give 110% all the time
     , run out of 110%? GIVE 120%
-remember it is not an individual sport
-don't lose your focus

once you do all these things, if you're still on the sideline....
 You BETTER CHEER LIKE YOURE AT A JCOLE CONCERT AND BE GRATEFUL YOURE EVEN PART OF THE TEAM BECAUSE THEY ARE THE 3RD GREATEST THING TO EVER HAPPEN TO YOU BEHIND GOD AND YOUR FAMILY.

I am blessed to have peace of mind and a positive perspective. 
I can't wait to go to Tyler, Texas. 
I miss my family and I know God has great things in store for us next year 

I've learned the underdog usually rises
So watch out for the chihuahua 

#PBLM

No comments:

Post a Comment